Thursday, January 26, 2012

"Realistic" Housewives

This is a new series of posts that I am going to do periodically called "Realistic" Housewives not to be confused with "Real" Housewives. I think that most of us believe that we are the only ones that don't have it all together. We look at our friends, women we work with, women who write other blogs, etc and think "man, I could never do all she does, how does she do it?! She home schools her kids, cooks everything from scratch, her house is always clean, clothes are always washed and put away, she has time to go to the gym, take her kids to all their activities, volunteer at ________, and the list goes on and on!" You know someone like this don't you? If it's you then stop reading and move on to someone else's blog cause this post will not pertain to you. I sometimes think of Bree on "Desperate Housewives." Don't judge - yes I use to watch that show! Anyway, she is the epitome of what we would think of as a "REAL" Housewife. She always had everything perfect. Of course her life was a wreck but from the outside you would never know it! I am not going to get into all that now but really just sticking to realistically what a happens as a housewife in my house.

I am here to set the record straight that most of us or probably all of us if we are honest, don't have it "all together." I guess some of us are better at time management or organizing than others which helps.  I use to try and compare myself to others but I have learned that really does no good. Comparison leads down a road of envy maybe jealousy. So I am trying to keep it real as a housewife.

So one of the things I am most realistic about is laundry. Living overseas spoiled me a teeny tiny bit. I guess I never knew how bad I was at it until we moved back to the states. You see while we living overseas I had a housekeeper who came once a week to clean and do laundry. I did the laundry occasionally but she did the bulk of it even ironing! Oh how I miss Sertap! (I do miss her for other reasons as well like her wonderful mercimek kofte.) Ok anyway, I was spoiled. But still I don't think I was that bad until I had kid #3. I think that was the big kicker. Having three kids has changed a lot of things! That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!

So onto laundry, I suppose a "real" housewife would wash and fold all in one maybe two days. That just never happens at my house. I might get 3 or 4 loads washed in one day but it might take a week (uh, maybe longer if I'm honest) to get it folded. Ever have to dig through laundry to find underwear or socks that match?! Folding laundry is one of chores I hate the most. I would wash all day long but fold...well it could sit and sit and sit. And it does sometimes. It ain't goin' now where. I can't wait for the day till my kids can fold their own clothes! So now you know that I am horrible housewife when it comes to laundry. #justkeepingitreal!

so I know you are wondering how long this laundry will sit here before it's folded!



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

1 comment:

Keri Sheckler said...

Good stuff, Elizabeth. And I gotta agree with you that #3 kid changed things for me.:)
I do all of my laundry in one day but the kids clothes always seem to get put on the guest bed and many a time never leave until worn.