Thursday, February 09, 2006

Mardi Gras Istanbul Style!

share video
Share Video and Photos at DropShots.com


Well since we can't get a King Cake in Istanbul, my friend, Rebecca and I decided to make our own. Rebecca got the "original" recipe off the internet and then we went at it. It is a good thing we started early because it took us all day to make it! There are lots of steps to it so I have a better appreciation for those bakeries that make them all day long during Mardi Gras season! The only thing about our king cake was the colors. It wasn't traditional. I only had red food coloring so the sugar on our cake is red and pink. I guess you can think of it as a Valentine's Day King Cake. Which really wouldn't be a king cake, would it? Anyway, it was fun making and having a little taste of home! And all the people who tasted it, that actually knew what a king cake was (which was a total of 4 people) said it tasted just like the real thing! I'm sure we would give Gambino's a run for their money! To all our dear friends in NOLA - Happy Mardi Gras!

No comments: