Monday, September 25, 2006

Ramazan

Yesterday was the start of Ramazan here in Turkey. Ramazan is the month were Muslims fast from sun up to sundown. They normally get up early before sunrise and eat and then have a big feast when the sun goes down. In some neighborhoods a boy with a drum walks around waking everyone up to eat before sunrise. Our neighborhood has banned this drummer boy. It wasn't a big deal to us because I've only heard him once or twice in the five years I've lived here. I'm either a sound sleeper or he's not very good. Although I did see him one morning when I was taking some people to the airport at 3:30am! The meal to break their fast is called iftar. They also have a special bread they make during this month. And a cannon goes off to signify it's ok to eat. And if you don't hear it they have the time printed in the newspaper so you will know. Pray we would have opportunity to share the Good News during this special time for our friends and neighbors.

These pictures have nothing to do with Ramazan...but we had to put something up!

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing


Bailey fell asleep while drinking her bottle last night...she does this quite a bit. Isn't she so cute?!

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing


Bailey sporting her orange...for those of you wondering she has orange blood not blue/red (for LA Tech)!

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bailey looks great in orange but we want to see the LA. Tech Cheerleader suit! GO DAWGS!!!
Love, Aunt Jen

Anonymous said...

I miss sweet Bailey and your fam and watching the Amazing Race with you guys. Are the Fraternity brothers still in it :)?

Anonymous said...

Hey Johnson's. This is Eric from this summer. I hope all is going well with you. Bailey is looking as cute as always, excepts she needs to be wearing some Cardinal and Gold (Go ISU Cyclones)! I'm actually writing to see if you can help me out. I'm sending out a prayer update every day of Ramadan for people to pray though this month. I was wondering if you could e-mail me something I could use for an update. It could be something Turkey specific, but maybe more muslim specific would be better. You both have a great insight into the the muslim worldview, no matter how nominal it is, that would be of great benefit to you. Also, you can add some personal prayer requests specific to Ramadan so that we can pray for you as well. If you could do this, that would be great. My e-mail address is thephatchef@gmail.com . Thanks for your help.